Thursday, December 17, 2009

Changing the Culture

In an attempt to change the culture of my school, someone decided it would be good to spend money on large signs with motivational quotations from significant figures in our content areas. The motivational quotations are to go along with our school themes that were created during the summer. You know...things like "respect" or "cooperation." I am not sure what the seven themes are. I looked on our school webpage, but they are not listed any place that I can find them.


It is now the math department's turn to suggest some quotes to be placed on signs that will hang outside out room. Here are my tongue-in-cheek suggestions:


"I don't quite hear what you say, but I beg to differ entirely with you. " (De Morgan)


"Everyone knows what a curve is, until he has studied enough mathematics to become confused through the countless number of possible exceptions." (Klein)


"Mathematicians are born, not made." (Poincare)


"To isolate mathematics from the practical demands of the sciences is to invite the sterility of a cow shut away from the bulls. " (Chebyshev)


"It is rare to find learned men who are clean, do not stink and have a sense of humour." (said about Leibniz)



http://www-history.mcs.st-and.ac.uk/Quotations/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment